The Cinematheque is one of the vital projects of the Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) under the Distribution and Exhibition Division which aims to promote programs and activities for audience development and film appreciation thereby creating a film culture across the country.
The Cinematheque Centres are designed to be an alternative and accessible venue to expose audience to both conventional and non-conventional forms of film and programs directed to developing new filmmakers and upgrading the skills of existing ones.
The Cinematheque Centres are found in the following locations:
- Cinematheque Centre Manila - T. M. Kalaw St. Ermita, Manila
- Cinematheque Centre Iloilo – Iznart cor. Solis Sts. Iloilo City
- Cinematheque Centre Davao – Palma Gil St. Davao City
- Cinematheque Centre Zamboanga – Veterans cor. Legionaire Sts. Zamboanga City
- Cinematheque Centre Nabunturan – Nabunturan, Compostella Valley
- Cinematheque Centre Negros – Bacolod City, Negros
The Cinematheque Centres showcases monthly thematic films which are curated by the central programming committee along with classic and contemporary films provided by FDCP’s embassy partners through its Film Cultural Exchange Program (FCEP).
Cinematheque Centre Manila holds monthly workshops on directing, scriptwriting, editing, cinenmatography, and all other aspects of filmmaking; regional Cinematheque Centres hold these type of workshops quarterly.
Each Cinematheque Centre holds events that are anchored to the theme for the month. These events include special screenings and other activities such as exhibitions and performances which incorporates film with other forms of art such as poetry, music, photography, etc.
The Cinematheque Centres allow venue rentals for events and other activities that are in line with FDCP’s mandate and thrusts to further develop the film industry. A minimal fee is collected depending on the negotiation with the event coordinators. Partnerships are very much welcome.
A rental rate card is available upon request from the Cinematheque Centre management. All venue rental is subject to Cinematheque Centre Guidelines and Regulations.
The following are the steps on how to rent a Cinematheque:
The standard rental fee for the use of the Cinematheque Centre Manila is P1,500/hour*.
Venue rental includes the following amenities:
- Use of the theatre including lobby and gallery; display of exhibit is subject for approval
- House Manager and front-of-house staff, Technical Operator
- Basic light set-up: stage lighting
- Basic sound set-up; 2 wired microphones, 2 wireless microphones**
- DVD/Bluray player
*Rental fee may vary subject to the nature of the activity and the use of additional equipment and facilities.
Rental of regional Cinematheque Centre is P1,000.00
**Event organizer shall provide for the battery (9V).
As the management body of the theatre, the Cinematheque Centre Manila has first rights to its use for events, screenings and other functions. While this does affect the availability of the theatre for outside events, we do want to share our beautiful space and so will work with you and do our best to accommodate your needs.
Accepted Usages - The space can be used for workshops, exhibitions, artistic performances, celebrations or other uses subject to the approval of the Cinematheque Centre Manila management.
A reservation deposit of 50% of the total rental fee must be paid to reserve the date for your event. The total amount must be paid at least three (3) days prior to the agreed date of event.
In the event of a cancellation, the Cinematheque Centre reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee of the 20% of the agreed rental fee. The Cinematheque Centre must be notified of cancellation at least one (1) day prior to the event. Failure to notify would result to forfeiture of payment. Should the Cinematheque Centre be not able to accommodate the event, the reservation deposit will be fully refunded.
The following articulates the general rules to be followed by all parties wishing to utilize the Theater for their event:
- The Cinematheque Centre requires at least one (1) authorized representative from the organizers to be on site at all times;
- No food or beverages shall be brought into or consumed in or around the Cinematheque Centre building without expressed consent from the Cinematheque Centre management;
- Smoking is prohibited inside the building;
- All garbage must be properly bagged and stored in trash cans as provided by the Cinematheque Centre;
- Client is responsible for all set-up and clean-up related to the event unless otherwise stipulated in the agreement;
- The Cinematheque Centre will provide air conditioning, electrical power, and assist with normal pre- and post-event cleaning for the auditorium and stage areas;
- The Cinematheque Centre management shall not be liable for any loss of or damage to any personal property which the Client or its personnel may bring into the premises of the facility;
- Cinematheque Centre personnel will have the right to enter any part of the facility at all times;
- The Cinematheque Centre may distribute to the audience announcements and literature concerning future attractions whether such attractions are under the auspices of the Client or otherwise;
- Technical production – sound/lighting/rigging/dressing room rules sets, costumes, props, flashpots, smoke machines, laser lighting equipment, and any other materials – must be approved in advance by the Cinematheque Centre technical officer assigned to the event as well as conform to all fire and safety codes. The provisions of the fire prevention code that prohibit smoking, flammable decorations, open flames, and explosive or flammable fluids, gases and compounds must be observed.
- Delivery of sets, sound system, costumes, and other materials prior to contracted time will not be accepted by the Cinematheque Centre unless prior arrangements have been made. If any sum is to be paid to the carrier upon delivery, the Cinematheque Centre representative will not accept any goods shipped to the facility for the Client.